What is the function of cytoplasmic projections in foraminiferans and actinopods?
These cytoplasmic projections form a sticky, interconnected net that entangles prey.
Green algae are considered ancestral organisms of green land plants. Discuss, or Why algae are considered as ancestral organism of green plants or Why it is generally accepted that plants arose from ancestral green algae?
Due to the presence of starch and cellulose cell wall, it is generally accepted that plants arose from ancestral green algae. Evidence from RNA sequencing also indicates that green algae and the plants form a monophyletic lineage.
Give two characteristics of slime molds.
- The feeding stage of slime is called plasmodium which is a multinucleate mass of cytoplasm that can grow to 30 cm (1 ft) in diamete
- During unfavourable condition, slime mold forms resistant haploid spore by meiosis within stalked structures called sporangia
Write two characteristics of ciliates, or Write down main futures of ciliaes.
- Ciliates are unicellular organisms with a flexible outer covering called a pellicle.
- They have several thousand fine, short, hair like structure called cilia for locomotion.
- They have two types of nuclei i.e., micronucleus and macronucleus.
- Most ciliates ingest bacteria or other tiny protists.
- Water regulation in freshwater ciliates is controlled by special organelles called contractile vacuoles.
- Most ciliates are capable of a sexual process called conjugation.